- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 large white onions, chopped
- 2-1/2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tbsp paprika
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, melt butter and saute onions, celery and garlic for about 45 minutes or until they are cooked down.
- Stir in flour and cook briefly, do not brown. Stir in chopped shrimp and cook for 20 minutes.
- Pour in 2 to 3 cups of water and mushrooms. Stir in paprika and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 30 minutes. Should be a thick and have a gravy-like consistency.
- Serve over rice or grits for a complete meal.